Infos et nouveautés
Coastguard Bar Crossing Video
17 July 2014 in News
As a skipper of a vessel its your responsibility to ensure the safety of everyone on board.
This helpful video from the New Zealand Coastguard provides valuble advice on how to make safer bar crossings.
Key points mentioned in thie video include:
- What is a bar and how do they vary
- Preparation and planning your trip. Check weather, tide times, boat and equipment.
- Having a back up plan should conditions change.
- Observing the bar and checking local conditions. Double check boat and equipment.
- Brief crew on safety equipment and procedures
- Log a trip report with Coastguard
- How to travel across a bar safely. Remember never turn around in a bar.
- Returning through a bar safely by following one wave.
Thank you Coastguard New Zealand and Boat Safety in NZ for this very informative video.
For more information you can visit www.coastguard.co.nz